History Tidewater Lumber Corp. traces its roots back to the 1930's where it originated as Rappahannock Lumber Company. Nathan Bareford and his cousin, John B. Bareford, operated portable sawmills and a planing mill at Ozeana, Va. This was in the era of horse-drawn means of skidding logs to the mill and steam power for producing energy to operate the planing mill.
In the late '40s, the two partners dissolved partnership; Nathan Bareford was the recipient of the equipment and inventory, while John Bareford retained the name Rappahannock Lumber Co. Thus Nathan Bareford began operation under the name Tidewater Lumber Company.
Upon this split, Tidewater moved three miles North on Route 17. This soon proved to be an unsatisfactory location for a mill due to the elevation. Simultaneously, a 47 acre tract became available at Brays Fork, Va which was purchased and became the permanent location for Tidewater.
At this time Malcolm P. Ball, son in law of Nathan Bareford, took the position of General Manager. During this period, Nathan Bareford, having multiple business interests, signed a franchise with General Motors to establish Bareford Buick in Tappahannock, VA, where he began to devote the majority of his time. Under direction of new management, Tidewater Lumber was incorporated in 1956. As the evolution of sawmill operations saw the demise of portable sawmills, Tidewater's first permanent sawmill was established to compliment its planing mill.
In 1978, N. Page Ball, son of Malcolm P. Ball, bought Nathan Bareford's interest in Tidewater, and is today's current President with son, Carter P. Ball as General Manager, Vice President.